1. Site planning. Work with client to develop a sitemap that outlines content and features necessary to serve the goal of the client and expectations of visitors.
2. Wire-framing. Create wireframes for each page type to show what content elements must appear on each page.
3. Design. Create designs in Photoshop for each page type based on sitemap and wireframes. (Usually this is done by a separate designer, though sometimes I do this too.)
4. The WP Install. Load WordPress and any necessary plug-ins on the hosting account. These would include standard needs such as Google Analytics, SEO and site backups as well as features specific to the project such as calendars and inquiry forms.
5. Find a custom theme. Create templates and CSS files to build a theme that matches the design and supports the features included in the plan. Write plug-ins or modify functions.php as needed.
6. Insert company info. Populate the pages with content.
7. Beta it. Test site in various browsers and devices.